If you and/or your minor child used the TikTok and/or Musical.ly application, You May Be Entitled to a Payment from a Class Action Settlement.
If you live in Illinois and used the TikTok app in Illinois to create videos, you may be entitled to up to 6x the Payment.
- Plaintiffs filed a class action complaint alleging that TikTok, Inc. f/k/a Musical.ly, Inc; ByteDance, Inc.; Musical.ly n/k/a TikTok, Ltd. and Beijing ByteDance Technology Co. Ltd. (collectively, the “Defendants”), violated federal and state law by collecting and using, without sufficient notice and consent, Plaintiffs’ personal data in connection with their use of the TikTok - Make Your Day video-sharing application (and/or its predecessor app Musical.ly) distributed in the U.S. (the “App.”).
- Defendants deny these allegations and other material allegations in the operative complaint.
- The Settlement1 that has been reached in this case affects the following persons (collectively the “Settlement Class”):
- Nationwide Class: All persons who reside in the United States who used the App prior to September 30, 2021.
- Illinois Subclass: All persons who reside in the State of Illinois and used the App in the State of Illinois to create videos prior to September 30, 2021.
- The Settlement, if approved, would provide $92,000,000 to pay the members of the Settlement Class who file valid claims, as well as to pay Plaintiffs’ attorneys’ fees, costs, a service award for the named plaintiffs, and the administrative costs of the settlement. It would also provide injunctive relief to protect App users’ information. The Settlement avoids the further cost and risk associated with continuing the lawsuits; it pays money to those persons whose rights Plaintiffs contend were violated; and it releases Defendants from further liability.
- You may submit a claim on your own behalf or on behalf of your minor child.
- Your legal rights are affected whether you act or don't act. Read the notice carefully.
|YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS AND OPTIONS IN THIS SETTLEMENT|
SUBMIT A CLAIM FORM
|If you are a member of the Settlement Class, you must submit a completed Claim Form to receive a payment. If the Court approves the Settlement and it becomes final and effective, and you remain in the Settlement Class, you will receive your payment by electronic means (unless you opt for an alternative form of payment). Deadline: March 1, 2022|
|You may request to be excluded from the Settlement and, if you do, you will receive no benefits from the Settlement.
Deadline: January 31, 2022
|Write to the Court if you do not like the Settlement.
Deadline: January 31, 2022
Deadline for responses to Plaintiffs’ Motion for Final Approval and Motion for Attorneys’ Fees: April 14, 2022
GO TO A HEARING
|Ask to speak in Court about the fairness of the Settlement.|
|You will not receive a payment if you fail to timely submit a completed Claim Form, and you will give up your right to bring your own lawsuit against Defendants about the Claims in this case.|
- These rights and options - and the deadlines to exercise them - are explained in the Notice.
- The Court in charge of this case still has to decide whether to approve the Settlement. If it does, and after any appeals are resolved, benefits will be distributed to those who submit qualifying Claim Forms. Please be patient.
1 Capitalized terms herein have the same meanings as those defined in the Settlement Agreement.
If you participated in the class action lawsuit captioned, T.K., Through Her Mother, Sherri Leshore, and A.S. Through Her Mother, Laura Lopez, et al. v. Bytedance Technology Co., LTD., Muscial.Ly Inc., Musical.Ly The Cayman Islands Corporation, and TikTok, Inc., held in the United States District Court For The Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division, you MAY also participate in this settlement by filing a claim form HERE.